Kale Chips Three Ways
Kale chips are so in right now! You can find them practically anywhere and in tons of flavors! BUT if you check the ingredients, you will probably find that cashews are right up there on the top of the list! If you can find a gluten, dairy, egg, soy, nut free brand of kale chips, stick with them (and let me know the brand!) But if you can’t, like me, just make them! They’re so easy to make and the measurements aren’t too strict! Plus, I actually like them a lot better than the store bought ones because they are thinner and less filling!
I also have yet to find a sweet kale chip flavor! This is definitely strange because I thought all of these kale chips companies have thought of everything! Don’t fret though, I’ve got a sweet kale chip recipe that’s actually pretty amazing!
I made three flavors of kale chips but don’t be afraid to just stick to one at a time instead of making all three flavors all at once like I did. Plus, your housemates or family will thank you for the great smelling house instead of the slightly weird mix of smells that we experienced here.
Kale Chips Three Ways
2 bunches of kale (washed, stems removed, ripped into bite sized pieces and separated into 3 bowls S, M, L)
Original Flavor Organic Ingredients:
Large bowl of kale
1 tbsp olive oil
Sweet Cinnamon Organic Ingredients:
Medium Bowl of Kale
1 tbsp coconut oil
½ tbsp local raw honey
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
Cheesy Flavor Organic Ingredients:
Small Bowl of Kale
1 tsp olive oil
½ tsp gluten free nutritional yeast
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees fahrenheit
2. Wash kale throughly and dry
3. Remove stems by holding on to one side of the stem with one hand and running your other hand along the stem ripping off leaves as you go.
4. Rip leaves into preferred bite sized pieces
5. Separate into three bowls: small, medium and large. Large: original flavor, Medium: Sweet Cinnamon, Small: Cheesy
6. Gather 2 large baking sheets and 1 small and line with parchment paper.
7. With the largest bowl of kale, cover each leaf with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Feel free to use more or less at your discretion. Make sure each leaf is fully covered and massage oil into the leaves with your hands.
8. Squeeze the juice from half a lemon on to the kale chips and mix with your hands.
9. Spread on to cookie sheet. Don’t worry if they’re overlapping, they will shrink slightly in the oven.
10. Gather your small bowl of kale and follow steps 7 & 8 with the appropriate amount of olive oil and lemon.
11. Sprinkle the nutritional yeast on the kale and mix with hands. Spread on small baking sheet.
12. In the medium bowl of kale, get your tbsp of coconut oil and melt it slightly by leaving it under a warm light or holding it in your hands. Use your hands to massage the oil into the leaves.
13. Pour the honey over the kale and mix with hands.
14. Sprinkle on half of the cinnamon and mix and repeat with the second half. This bowl is a little more sticky so to make sure the cinnamon is evenly spread, I’d recommend adding the cinnamon in two batches.
15. Spread on baking sheet.
16. Arrange the kale chips in the oven with the largest batch on the top and the smallest on the bottom.
17. Bake for 12 minutes and then turn.
18. Bake for another 12 minutes or until crispy. The Sweet Cinnamon flavor might need more time depending on your oven but leave it in until it reaches your desired crispyness.
19. Let rest for a couple minutes until transferring to a plate to serve!
20. Enjoy for up to a week in an airtight container! (if you don’t finish them beforehand!)
Kale chips are so easy to make that you could definitely make up your own recipes! Mix it up and try it with your Bragg organic sprinkle or use some cayenne pepper to make some spicy chips! There are so many options and not enough kale… Just kidding there’s always enough kale! ;)
As soon as I ate one, my dogs wouldn’t leave me alone! They were definitely intrigued by these crunchy kale chips!