Chicken Millet Pilaf
This recipe is so quick and easy since you cook the millet and vegetables simultaneously and if you soak your millet the night before! Not only does soaking your grains allow for WAY faster cooking, but it also allows for the anti-nutrients like phytic acid and other enzyme inhibitors to release from the grain and into the water. After soaking, make sure to rinse off your grains and drain.
Chicken Millet Pilaf
makes 3 servings
1 cup millet, soaked overnight, rinsed and drained
2 cups low sodium chicken stock, divided
1 small yellow onion
2 green garlic, thinly sliced or 6 cloves garlic
1 spring onion, thinly sliced or 1 medium shallot
½ tsp ground cumin
2 carrots, small diced
2 stalks celery, small diced
1 lb english peas, shelled or 1 cup frozen peas
½ tsp Herbs de Provence
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp chipotle chili powder or more to taste
½ cup pulled roast chicken, shredded with hands
extra virgin olive oil for finishing
freshly ground pepper
1. In a saucepan, combine soaked millet with 1 cup chicken broth and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until all of the broth is absorbed. Then add another cup of stock and simmer until absorbed. Finally, add in the last ½ cup until absorbed.
2. While millet is cooking, heat up tea seed oil in a large pan. Add in spring onion, yellow onion and garlic.
3. Once you can smell the aromatics, add in cumin. Sauté until translucent.
4. Add in diced carrots and celery, stirring frequently for 3-5 minutes.
5. Add in green peas and cook until peas turn bright green or if using frozen, until thawed.
6. Add in Herbs de Provence, thyme, chipotle chili powder. Stir until aromatic.
7. Add in chicken and saute until chicken is warm throughout.
8. Add in red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
9. Cook millet until stock has fully absorbed and is to desired stickiness.
10. Fold in millet to veggies and chicken until well combined.
11. Serve and top with olive oil and additional fresh ground pepper and chili powder!
Would be great to top with green onions, chives or parsley!