Apple Cinnamon Amaranth - Hot Breakfast Cereal
I long for the mornings when my mom would make me cream of wheat! It wasn’t too often that she made it so when she did, it was a huge treat! We’d top it off with some fat free Lactaid milk (eew), cinnamon, raisins and of course, maple syrup! Those days were my favorite.
Since becoming gluten free (and allergy free), I sadly can no longer eat cream of wheat but surprisingly have been yearning for it more than ever! I probably haven’t had it in over 15 years but I can still remember the taste so vividly!
Here’s a great substitution for your traditional hot cereal. You can add anything to this recipe that you’d add to oatmeal. The coconut milk adds just enough creaminess and the apple cinnamon combination brings me right back to my childhood kitchen table! This recipe is perfect for breakfast since it’s quick and easy (if amaranth is soaked overnight) and since amaranth is a complete protein, it’ll leave you full until lunchtime!
Apple Cinnamon Amaranth
Hot Breakfast Cereal
makes 4 servings
1 cup amaranth, soaked overnight
1 cup filtered water
1 fuji apple, medium diced
1 tsp ground cinnamon, plus more to taste
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ cup coconut milk, divided
raw local honey to taste
1. Be sure to soak amaranth overnight.
2. Drain and rinse soaked amaranth. You can see the mini sprouts already if you look closely!
3. Bring amaranth and filtered water to a boil in a saucepan.
4. When amaranth reaches a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cover for 15 minutes.
5. Uncover and stir until excess water is absorbed or evaporated.
6. Add amaranth, diced apple, cinnamon and nutmeg to a large bowl and stir until well combined.
7. Evenly distribute amaranth cereal into 4 small bowls. Add approximately 2 tbsp of coconut milk to each bowl (or more if desired) and top with a small dollop of raw local honey and more cinnamon if desired.